Bahrain officials blame women after mob harassment at swimming pool

Bahraini officials have issued a warning to two women who were sexually harassed by a group of men at a public swimming pool, local newspaper Gulf Daily News reported.

A senior official told the outlet on Wednesday that the women had been cautioned after a video of the incident over the weekend garnered attention on social media.

"The two women themselves went to an area where there were only bachelors," the official was quoted as saying.

"The matter was reported to the police and the women were warned not to repeat such actions anywhere, anytime.

"The individuals involved in the incident were strictly advised to avoid crowded pools," he said and claimed that the women were not sexually harassed.

In the viral video, the two women can be seen attempting to leave a pool while a crowd of rowdy men grope them and shout abuse at them.

The footage sparked outrage online with many Twitter users calling on authorities to investigate the incident.

Gulf Daily News  reported on Thursday that security has been ramped up at the waterpark.

Bahraini security forces have been accused of sexually assaulting political prisoners.

Authorities have jailed dozens of high-profile activists and disbanded both religious and secular opposition groups since protests demanding political change erupted in 2011.

Source: alaraby

Share This Post

related posts

 

On Top