This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to improve your website experience and provide more personalized services to you, both on this website and through other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy. We won't track your information when you visit our site. But in order to comply with your preferences, we'll have to use just one tiny cookie so that you're not asked to make this choice again.

2-year-old girl dies in freezing temperatures outside home in US

The child died as a result of "exposure to the elements and hypothermia which are consistent with the autopsy results."

A New Hampshire little child, shoeless and clad just in a robe, was discovered dead at an opportune time Monday in severe virus climate only feet from her front entryway after she figured out how to escape her home and couldn't get back in. 

Police in the residential community of Newport said they got a few 911 calls around 7:10am. around an inert youngster who was not relaxing. When they touched base at the two-story habitation, they articulated the young lady dead. A primer examination found the tyke, recognized by family as Sofia Van Schoick, had gone out without anyone else and "was not ready to recover passage," said specialists. 

Police Chief James Burroughs said they took the temperature at the scene, and it was 8 degrees beneath zero. Afterward, Burroughs said the kid passed on because of "introduction to the components and hypothermia which are predictable with the examination results." 

"I don't trust it was unreasonably troublesome for the tyke to get out," Burroughs stated, adding that her demise seems, by all accounts, to be unplanned. 

The little child's granddad, Lindsay Van Schoick, said the family is as yet attempting to comprehend what occurred. 

"It's harsh," he said. "It was an awful mishap, a horrendous mishap. She (his little girl) is doing loathsome. She is doing awful. She simply lost one of her youngsters." 

Van Schoick, who was at the Newport home, said the family had quite recently moved into the flat and his granddaughter might not have felt comfortable around here. He likewise said the front entryway driving outside was anything but difficult to open and the family had not had sufficient energy to put deadbolts on the passage. 

"I don't think she made it up the stairs. They discovered her at the base of the stairs," he said. "There are things we will never know. We'll never comprehend what occurred." 

Burroughs said the mishap stayed under scrutiny by the police and the Sullivan County Attorney's Office and that it had been alluded to the state Division for Children, Youth and Families, as is standard in cases this way. Among the things that will be taken a gander at are the means by which the youngster escaped the house and whether there were appropriate shields to avert it, he said. 


"Positively there are things guardians can improve and keep individuals coming or going from your habitation," he said. "Those protections that appear to be normal and evident to some are not generally that route for other people. Mishaps happen where it is possible that you neglect to place secures or chains on your entryways or dead darts to keep this from occurring." 

WMUR-TV revealed a lady and her sweetheart who lived adjacent heard cries around 4am. Monday however didn't see anything. They hit the sack and the lady later found the young lady at the base of the stairs prompting the tyke's flat. 

"I was leaving my kitchen and watched out the window. I saw a lady remaining on the yard, a man of his word in the garage and what I thought as a doll laying facedown beside the stairs," said Charlotte Caron, who lived in indistinguishable house from the lady and her sweetheart. "Out of the blue I heard a shout. I saw a second lady leave the house, snatch the youngster and return inside." 

The little child's granddad, who lost a child five years prior, said the demise of a young lady he depicted as "extremely clever, gifted, exceptionally obstinate and resolute" has hit the family hard. 

"She was an extremely extraordinary child," he said. 

Alan Ayotte, a neighbor of the family who lived in a similar house, said he had met them quickly and they "were by all accounts fine, respectable individuals." He never heard anything medium-term and possibly learned of the mishap when crisis authorities arrived sooner than required Monday. 

"It's simply mind blowing that something happened that way," he said. "It's too awful that somebody couldn't have averted it."

Share This Post

related posts


On Top